The information needed will vary based on what is being reported. The following is a list of questions that could be asked when you call for police service. Not all questions would be applicable to every call. The Communications Operator is going to want to know:
- What is occurring or has occurred?
- The location of occurrence?
- Your name and phone number? (anonymous calls are accepted)
- Your location, if different from location of occurrence?
- The time of occurrence? Are there any injuries?
- Is anyone intoxicated?
- Are there weapons involved?
- How many people are involved?
- What is the descriptions of people involved? (start from the top, i.e., gender, race, hair color, eye color, height, weight, scars/tattoos, clothing.
- What is the description of the vehicles involved? (tag, color, make, model, year)
- What was the direction of travel for anyone leaving the scene on foot or in a or in a vehicle?
- Are there any witnesses? Are they still on the scene?
- Are there any animals at the house? Inside or outside?
- Is the location fenced?
- Are there any clotheslines or pools?
- Has anyone been outside?
(Some questions are necessary for the safety of approaching officers and in the event police K-9's are being used.)